Tuesday, January 02, 2007

You! Who Shape


I just re-read "Time's Person of the Year: You" and got a feeling of being more important and effective in the way my world goes on. Beside I couldn’t help feeling a change. Something has changed! And that is the way we come together.
I remember days in 1990s when I had just started learning English in a private institution in Qom. My great interest in learning a foreign language fueled me to spend up to 9 hours a day trying to speak it with myself! We studied Oxford's "American Streamline" which focused on speaking and that was the problem. I personally dreamed of being able to speak any other language than Farsi. It felt like doubling my friend-making powers (the vital part of my life).
But the problem rose just when I got that power. Again I had no one to speak with, but myself, or in a silly way selecting the hard approach of using the newly acquired language with my fellow classmates.
I can not forget the day when we met the wife of one of our friend – an American nurse. Like hungry vultures seizing the corpse, six of us surrounded her just to talk English. Either I can not forget her face after 3 hours of whirlwind chat with six determined beginners in English field!
But today that has changed. Internet has allowed us to forget the miles-long distance and reach out for new friends. The magic of a PC connected to a phone line has changed even the way we relate with next door friends. Sometimes we meet more On-line than in the park.
On-line communities like Orkut created virtual societies which have the most culturally variant space and no one is un-welcomed. Where people just invite friends before knowing where they live or what religion or ethnic they come from.
And above all that, there are these Blogs. The empty space where we put what otherwise preoccupied our minds or blackened the white papers we now use to have more mathematics practice. These provide us with an unprecedented opportunity to express ourselves to those who may have never heard us if it were not for this Blogs.
So surely something has changed. Something important has changed.
It is for all these that now I and YOU are selected by Time to be the person of the year.
More important: it is for this internet that I found one of my best friends to whom I am so attached that many times I miss her though being miles and miles away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home